Tuesday 15 September 2009




Weaving is the simple part. There are too many steps to count in the process of setting up a loom to weave. The creative process is just as long and complicated. I don't want to dictate to the students too much it is best for them to think for themselves. They should look through samples and photos to get a feel for stripes and checks. Kumi is going to weave an obi for a summer kimono. We chose some plain linen thread and a deep indigo blue dyed silk and a light green silk( gardenia and indigo) accent thread. She spent time planning the balance of her thread count and started warping. It took her several hours warp five meters.

It takes so long from the start of a project to the end that it is easy to forget the order of the steps.



1 comment:

  1. About an hour ago, Michael Cook of www.wormspit.com suggested I visit your blog when I asked about traditional Japanese textiles. I'm so glad he did: your posts are both beautiful and informative, although they leave me with more questions than I arrived with! I'm particularly interested in how the yarns for weaving were woven in the past - I've seen pictures of Chinese spinning wheels, but wondered whether there is any 'known' tradition of hand spinning with spindles of any type.

    ReplyDelete