Sunday 21 August 2011

Textiles for Tea Ceremony





These type of macrame (a Japanese word!) bags are used for three items in the tea ceremony. For a container that contains mini- sweets, for the container that contains the tea whisk and for the container tube-like container that contains the linen wipe cloth. This is my first attempt with some silk leftover from a previous project. Dyed with akane and walnut bark. I didn't expect it to work out at all the first try. Not bad though. I used a empty Saran Wrap tube instead of a round cork center. Next time will be easier and better.

4 comments:

  1. Similar method to kilum weaving (Papua New Guinea string bag) I should have learned how to make it while living there, but there was more priority in my life at that time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I "did" macrame years ago but didn't realize it was a Japanese word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised as well. I didn't catch it at first. 'Maku' means to tie up or combine and 'me' means eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Your blog is sooo beautiful and I am happy to see your bag in progress. Here in Texas, I tried to figure out how to finish the bottom without a book or "real" one to examine. My solution was to weave the ends together, but I would love to know your technique. See mine at http://chabakocrazy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete