Saturday 22 October 2011

Tsunamiland Workshops



I have been up volunteering several times in Iwate and Miyagi prefectures over the past six months. Shoveling tsunami gunk, sifting sand in yards, carrying debris, washing everything, making food and delivering it. It is getting colder up north and I am busy with carpentry work at the house preparing for the spring tour so I could only squeeze in one last trip up there. I got back home this morning. (To find that Snoopy had fallen down the concrete river embankments and was trapped all night in the heavy rain on a miniscule shrinking island in the middle of the river near my house. She was soaked, shocked and delirious. I fell in the river pulling her out.)

The people living in temporary emergency housing places have had their houses and spouses and children and big parts of their lives washed away. The shock has worn off and as the days grow colder and less sunshine, dreary reality sinks in. It took some effort to arrange in advance four indigo workshops at some temporary emergency housing places. It was worth it to see some very happy faces. In Spring after the tour is finished I will try to go back and hold some more. They need fresh ideas for their fundraising bazaars. Something clever with indigo? I have six months to think about it.

PS: Snoopy is now dried out and fed and sleeping soundly on my bed as if it all hadn't happened.

7 comments:

  1. Pictures said a thousand words. I'm very pound of you Bryan. Poor Snoopy I'm glad she is okay now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Such wonderful pics here & I enjoyed yr posts. We lived in Tokyo for 5 years before moving to Dubai on Christmas Eve, just last year. Wish we know of you back then! Warm wishes all the way from the deserts here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The women look so happy! I'm glad that you and Snoopy are doing well. I find your blog and work very inspiring!

    Edwina

    ReplyDelete
  4. your dyers' faces radiate. and poor snoopy. glad she is back to normal and happy. our canine people friends make our lives so much bigger. does snoopy like to slip away when you're not paying attention? my wendy does that, and it scares me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad Snoopy is well, and am just amazed at what a mensch you are. Rock on, Bryan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your way in life....happy snoopy is ok and the smiling faces you produced works miracles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Velma:
    Snoopy has stressed me out for 19 years. I let her run free in the village. She is stone deaf and she stands in the middle of the road. I just hope she doesn't cause an accident. I've had to drive to pick her up many times when I get a call. (She has her telephone number on her tag.) She is ancient now and doesn't go far but I still worry. She must be an Aquarian...she needs the doors to be open.

    ReplyDelete