Friday 18 May 2012

Under Dyeing Indigo

Tanaka san spun and spun some old silk hankies I had made years ago from cut cocoons I had used for breeding and brought some very well done skeins to class today. We dyed them with gardenia pods to get a deep yellow with an aluminum mordant. Then the thread was dipped once, twice and three times in the indigo to get this green spectrum. She needs a little more practice on the spinner before the thread can be used for warp. But very close. This thread will be her weft. Gorgeous.


5 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous spinning and dyeing! (I want to spin silk this summer. Please let Tanaka-san know she's an inspiration to me to get started spinning silk!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. onesmallstitch18 May 2012 at 23:51

    the colours are beautiful, I've never had access to gardenia pods and love the depth of colour they give. That's alot of hankie spinning, I find them hard on the hands to spin but love the texture. Hope to see what Tanaka-san weaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rich, lovely yarns. hankies are a little hard for me to manage, too. fine photo of that gold being absorbed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shades and I have to confess I was very captivated by the flowers in the photographs.

    ReplyDelete