Saturday 3 December 2016

Hanten Jackets.

There have been a lot of projects going on here at the farm.

Ted and Yoyo dropped by yesterday with their new son. Sena's hand sewn denim hanten was almost finished. I put in the sleeves and it was ready for him to wear home. I dyed an old tenugui with persimmon tannin in last summer. It has a boy on a water buffalo. The 5th segment of the 10 ox-hearding  stories of Zen enlightenment. It made an adorable lining for his jacket. It is tough to find a present for an almost toddler with such stylish cool parents.









Such a sweet boy.....aghhhh. He charmed us all day long and our faces hurt from smiling.

I held the second Hanten jacket course at the house this year. We finished last week. We made two jackets. A denim one and an original stencilled indigo one.

Thank you Dawni, Kerry, Judi, Sue, Kate, Chris and Monica and Hinda. It was great to meet you all again and go somewhat slower than usual. I am so proud of you all and your hard work. Beautiful jackets. You all get gold medals for some category of work on them. Brilliant work. Period.















Hinda gets special mention for her spectacular mokume shibori lining that was too good to get cut up for a lining. Hundreds of hours of stitching and pulling and tying.



Being a little tired of indigo I made a soot dyed hanten for myself with the characters of "Old Indigo Hut" the name of my knit studio."





It snowed already...Where did the year go???

It is time to go slow for a few months.








15 comments:

  1. Bryan, really cool to hear of you back on the blog. I hope you are all well including hiro and white paws. I so wish you had an indigo hut in scotland. Bisous. Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie,
      It has been a busy autumn. Hundreds of pictures to sort through. A lotto indigo paste making ones. I'll try to get them up .b

      Delete
  2. ahh! Sena is adorable and his little hanten looks so cute. The lining is perfect. All the workshop hantens look great. I've just started sewing my second handwoven wool/silk hanten. Enjoy the peace and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jean,

    I made it through the autumn almost in one piece. I'm in slow motion but added four pedals and jacks and lams to the Finnish loom. Weaving a double sided rug with 8 shafts on the counter-marche. Looks soooo good. Hope all is good with you. I know I have a few hours of computer work to send to you. It is on it's way. Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. another year passed and i still haven't made it out your way....one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. here i thought you were luxuriating away your fall, harvesting and walking and maybe making a thing or two. and you have been super busy teaching another lucky group of students. now, maybe you will have some time to relax and catch up a bit. be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luxuriating away... I cooked for friends tonight...it was the first thing I've cooked in my own kitchen this year.... I am finding time to work on the loom and make jackets. (Often after midnight.) Just not much time for sleep. I will have some down time later this month and perhaps another trip to Russia in January.

      Delete
    2. very glad all is well, and if you can start getting some sleep...

      Delete
  6. OOOOOhhh! They are fantastic and I really like your soot one. Is there a hanten workshop in 2017 or whenever?
    Claudia Fisk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia san,
      April 1st to 14th. I had a few cancellations due to expecting grandchildren etc. Come up and bring a friend. I am getting pretty good at making these things! Bryan

      Delete
    2. YAY!! Yes, I will email you for details.
      Claudia

      Delete
  7. good to hear from you.it's been a busy year all over the globe it seems.but busy fun.sort of oi?

    ReplyDelete